What is globalization?
Globalization is the growing interdependence of every country in each other in terms of economics, culture, society, and even population. It highlights the relationship in the world in terms of exchanging information, trading, and other aspects.
More so, globalization makes the world feel that the distance between them should not be a hindrance to continuing to be connected.
Different definitions of globalization by the experts
There are various meanings and perceptions of globalization for different experts and authors worldwide.
One of those is Anthony Giddens, a sociologist. He defines globalization as “the intensification of social relations all over the world.”
While for sociologist and theorist Roland Robertson, globalization is a concept that refers both to the compression and the intensification of consciousness of the world as a whole.
What are the types of globalization?
There are five main different types of globalization considered as the most common processes people do that define globalization, those types are:
There are undeniably economic benefits of globalization which is why this is the most common and known type of globalization.
It has the most impactful and most felt process in the world as it relates to the relationship of each country in terms of exporting and importing their own products to sell and buy, which helps them to raise their country’s state.
Social globalization is the most used and what made communication so easy for everyone worldwide. This is the type of globalization wherein the exchange of information and sharing of ideas happens.
It helps the people to be aware of what’s happening not just around and within their own country but to the world itself.
Cultural globalization refers to the type of globalization wherein everyone is sharing their traditions and how they live their everyday life based on their hometown or home country.
Cultural globalization is about the transmission of meanings and values that helps to extend and intensify the social relations between everyone.
Political globalization focuses more on the government and leadership in each country, including how they face several issues. This helps the countries’ leaders to decide on who and which alliances they will belong to strengthen and expand their political ties.
Environmental globalization aims to increase global uniformity and connectedness in regular environmental management practices. It deals with all the ways that countries can do to help the environment, which everyone gets benefits from.
Examples for each type:
- Free Trade agreements are one of the top examples of economic globalization. It is a formally discussed agreement covering rules about buying and selling goods of two or more countries to each other.
- Social media is the perfect example of social globalization. It is the most modern way of how people to exchange ideas and information with each other about any relevant and even irrelevant issues.
- Food trade is an example of cultural globalization. It’s like letting other ethnicities try other ethnics foods and letting them experience and savor how different or similar food cultures are.
- The United Nations is considered a classic example of political globalization. It regulates the concerning global commons and gives limitations on sovereignty or a State’s rights.
- The International Tropical Timber Organization is an example of environmental globalization. It promotes and encourages each country to conserve tropical forest resources and their sustainable management, use, and trade.
What are the positive and negative impacts of globalization?
There are undeniably positive and negative impacts of globalization, considering that it greatly affects everyone worldwide.
Education. With the easier and more accessible ways of exchanging information, the level of education in each country is continuously improving, and more people are becoming knowledgeable and aware of other issues everywhere.
Technology. Thanks to globalization, technological advancements have widened, making certain aspects such as communication easier than before.
Employment. Global employment creates endless opportunities for organizations and employees worldwide. With this, more people will have a high chance of landing a job and more companies will find employees, whether locally or internationally.
Terrorism The risk of terrorism is high as anyone might feel greedy and plans to sabotage a country’s globalization relationship with others.
Currency fluctuation. At the same time, the risk of experiencing currency fluctuation is most likely to happen due to the differences in currencies used by certain countries.
Price instability. Price instability is connected with the currency fluctuation that people of a certain country can experience. The product’s price might get high in a short period of time when the currency they are using decreases so much of its value.